+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NC 500 Friday the 10th Jan

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera

Default NC 500 Friday the 10th Jan

Any one thinking of doing or has done and want to see again the NC 500 program on Channel 5 tonight Friday 10th @ 8.00 pm .

Sam
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    I watched that last night. Susan Calman's a hoot. I've done the NC500 many times, long before it was called that, but I've never been to the Whaligoe Steps. Maybe I should while I'm still able

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default Slippy

I,ve done it and she is correct, its very slippy. Make sure that you do not do it with bike boots on.

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I watched that last night. Susan Calman's a hoot. I've done the NC500 many times, long before it was called that, but I've never been to the Whaligoe Steps. Maybe I should while I'm still able
    Hi Derek, as someone who sounds to be familiar with the NC500 whats your opinion on doing this in a Motor home?
    I intend on doing this probably out of high season ( if that exists on the route) and off grid most of the time when possible. The m/h is 30 ft just under 9 mtr with quite a bit of overhang, i can drive or like to think so and no trouble reversing something this long are any of the roads unsuitable for HGV on route?

Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20191219_132104.jpg‎
Views:	9
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	12392  
    Wha's Like Us?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    These things are an absolute curse, especially when you are behind one that meets another coming the opposite direction on the single track roads.

The NC500 is no problem up the east side to Thurso, and beyond not bad as far as Bettyhill but the next 50-60 miles beyond Durness is single track and quite twisty. Sticking the to the main A894/A837/A835 from Laxford Bridge to Ullapool is not too bad 2 lane but following the beautiful B869 coast road in a camper is an absolute no-no.

Take your bike

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    I'm one of the considerate drivers Derek, on remote roads if I am causing a tail back I pull over but have found occasionally that when I do so the [email protected] in the car that speeds up to the bumper pulling out with lights blaring so I can see them ends up holding me up!
    On faster roads i"m usually the one overtaking.
    Regards to the bike, it fits into the garage nicely, i have folded up a light weight ramp from alloy chequer plate but still to fab up a chock to keep the bike in place. The bike will be handy if camping remotely for several days and needing to top up on anything.
    Wha's Like Us?

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Hi Derek, as someone who sounds to be familiar with the NC500 whats your opinion on doing this in a Motor home?
    I intend on doing this probably out of high season ( if that exists on the route) and off grid most of the time when possible. The m/h is 30 ft just under 9 mtr with quite a bit of overhang, i can drive or like to think so and no trouble reversing something this long are any of the roads unsuitable for HGV on route?

Sam
    Hey Sam.
    I've done the NC500 on a bike and car, camping, and also in a motorhome (huge 6 berth) no problem, you just need to plan where you are staying for the night.

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    Hey Sam.
    I've done the NC500 on a bike and car, camping, and also in a motorhome (huge 6 berth) no problem, you just need to plan where you are staying for the night.
    Cheers Robbie, any recommendations for off grid camping or pub stop overs / eating out. Sam
    Wha's Like Us?

Ducati models
    749bp
    Cheers Robbie, any recommendations for off grid camping or pub stop overs / eating out. Sam
    Pubs and eating out we hardly ever did.
    We (me and Rab) would plan to be setting up camp by a specific time every evening so would plan our supply stops for late afternoon, so by plan ahead I meant we would have a rough idea of when we needed to be exploring for a space to camp for the night.
    I'll try and put a Google map together for you for good places to stop overnight in a motorhome

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    I was thinking of maybe a week giving time for lots of stop over to explore and chill man the dog also loves the sea!
    Wha's Like Us?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    There you are Sam, from a man who has campered it.

Last times I've camped with a tent was years ago at Thurso and Ullapool. For food/pubs there is Wetherspoons in Wick, I found a couple of pubs with Ales in Thurso. There are a few bars that do food and ales along the road from Thurso to Durness - The Strathy Inn, The Brass Tap Bar at Tongue and a few others. Then the Scourie Hotel and if you are in Lochinver the The Lochinver Larder Pie Shop is good for a meal. Ullapool has ales in The Ferry Boat Inn, the Argyll, Caledonian and the Arch Inn and there are plenty of eating places. Helluva touristy though and the Ferry Boat Inn that used to be good has been tarted up and completely lost its character.
    And off the road bit in the Black Isle, The Anderson in Fortose is well worth a visit for excellent food and a huge range of beers from real ales to Belgian Trappist ales and more

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

sam

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    Cheers Robbie for the map of good beaches to stop over, it will save on me listening to Christina asking where next, she likes to have things planned my attitude is if ye dinny plan it it canny go wrong!
    Thanks Derek for the Ale trail , Ill take several gallon of my own for more remote areas.
    Looking forward to it already, I know I said probably out of high season but remembered we are at Belladrum festival at the end of July so may do the week before as we are at a wedding in southern Ireland beginning of August and hope to do a coastal trip around Ireland.
    I wonder how much weight the kids will have lost not having their personal chef at home?
    Wha's Like Us?

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco + GP800
    I kind of knew what Derek's response to Sam Motorhome question would be, it did bring a smile to my face and mine would of been similar but we too have ventured out & bought a small 4 berth motorhome, mainly as its always been my wifes dream and it feels like a very big clock is ticking away, somewhere...

Robbie, I'd too like to see the Google map of your adventures please, as we WILL venture North - but we have quite a bit of working up to a week long trip for us.

Out of curiosity do we have a BETTER SDC version of NC500? Time to trawl the archives.

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

Ducati models
    1098 s, MTS 1200s.
    Other bikes
    Aprilia RSVR.

Default Poolewe

Poolewe has a good camp caravan/campervan site with a nice view. With a shop,cafe and hotel with good food, it has everthing you need. Take a run out to the mouth of loch ewe and you cant miss all the beaches.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ray wynn For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by iconic944ss View Post
    I kind of knew what Derek's response to Sam Motorhome question would be, it did bring a smile to my face and mine would of been similar but we too have ventured out & bought a small 4 berth motorhome, mainly as its always been my wifes dream and it feels like a very big clock is ticking away, somewhere...
    Robbie, I'd too like to see the Google map of your adventures please, as we WILL venture North - but we have quite a bit of working up to a week long trip for us.
    Out of curiosity do we have a BETTER SDC version of NC500? Time to trawl the archives.
    http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...ight=bike+tour

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...ight=bike+tour

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/...ds-Roads/page1
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    Hey Sam.
    Quote Originally Posted by iconic944ss View Post
    ... we too have ventured out & bought a small 4 berth motorhome, mainly as its always been my wifes dream and it feels like a very big clock is ticking away, somewhere...
    I can see the North of Scotland roads are going to well clogged up this year

Ducati models
    900ss (93) + ST4S (02)
    Other bikes
    Aprilia Falco + GP800
    Many Thanks Robbie!

I know FB isnt flavour of the month but, there is a really friendly group on their ( for FB, anyways), here's a link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NC500AST

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission"

My SS resource: www.900ss.proboards.com

+ Reply to Thread