+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dash failure

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s

Default Dash failure

My monster 1100s has an issue, put the key in and no dash is dead, no lights and no horn, checked the fuses, and battery, checked the kill switch which was ok, connected across the starter solenoid and engine turned over ok, just wondering if the dash has failed or the ECU, anyone had a similar issue.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My monster 1100s has an issue, put the key in and no dash is dead, no lights and no horn, checked the fuses, and battery, checked the kill switch which was ok, connected across the starter solenoid and engine turned over ok, just wondering if the dash has failed or the ECU, anyone had a similar issue.
    Looking at the wiring diagram: The dash has 2 supplies, a permanent 12V through the 5A fuse marked DASH and an ignition switched supply through the 15A fuse marked LOADS which also supplies the horn and the brake lights. The headlight relay is controlled by the dash so if the dash doesn't work neither does the headlight. The parking light circuit should still work though. I think you should check the switched ignition supply first as the horn and brake lights should work irrespective of the dash if the supply is there.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    Thanks for the reply, I have checked there is a supply from the red/yellow that comes from the fuse marked dash, and checked the green/black that comes from the relay next to the battery that is fed by the load fuse, so I have two feeds, but dash still blank,Which makes me think it may be the dash, Do you think its worth sending the dash for testing, Or do you think I will need to buy a new one.

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    What year is your bike? On the diagram I have the only relay next to the battery is the starter solenoid but there is no green/black wire from there to anywhere! The dash has a green/black wire but that is for CANhigh to the ECU and diagnostic socket. It does have a red/blue wire supplying a 12V ignition switched circuit to the horn, brake lights and the dash. If you have neither horn nor brake lights you should investigate the supply to them before spending big money on a new dash or even getting it tested.

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    Its a 2009, reg built oct 2008, tried a new battery no change, the horn and the parking lights are not working, there are 2 relays next to the battery both 4 pin,

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    I think your right i will take off the ignition switch and check it and report back, thanks again

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    Just taken the ignition switch off and took it apart, no corrosion and seems ok, checked the four wires that go into it,Yellow/ orange/ red/ and the red and white and so my surprise all are showing 12V,
    Am I correct only the red and white should be live,

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    It is a 2009 wiring diagram that I have, so same bike.
    The ignition switch has 4 wires;
    Red : +12V from battery through 30A main fuse. The same feed from this fuse also supplies the permanently live fuses.
    Red/White : Switched out to fuse box when ignition on.
    Orange: Live when ignition is switched. Supplied from 15A fuse marked 'Lights'
    Yellow : Internally connected in the switch to the Orange when the ignition is ON, hence powering the parking and tail lights. When the ignition is switched to 'Park' the switch connects the yellow to the Red, powering the parking & tail lights.
    So at ignition OFF only the red is live. At ignition ON the red, red/white, orange. and yellow should all be live.
    The headlight depends on the dash switching on the headlight relay.
    With the ignition to ON, check for presence of 12V at both sides of the 10A fuse marked Key On and, if you can get access, the red/black wire at pin 9 of the dash.
    The dash connector pin 1 has a red/yellow which should be permanent live and pin 3 is a black wire to ground.

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    Hi thanks for the information, I have disconnected the plug to the ignition switch, and put my gauge from the batter earth and checked all four of the connections to the switch, I have 12v on 2 of them and 9v on the other 2, I should only have 1 live so will check the fuse panel

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    With the ignition switch disconnected, the red wire should be live all the time, it goes back to the battery via the 30A fuse. The red/white wire should have no voltage, nor should the orange and yellow wires. However with no load there can be leakage through other circuits that the meter will see as a voltage. I prefer to use a test lamp for these sort of tests because it draws a current, the voltage drops to zero and the lamp doesn't light. If it does light up I'll then look for the reason.
    Which wires are showing which voltage?

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    Hi thanks for the advice,
    I only have a digital multimeter and a new type test lamp that has an LED in it, it also shows voltage digitally I have ordered a conventional test lamp it should be here in a few days,
    I take it the LED type won't drop the voltage either thats why they are safe to use on can bus systems, makes sense. Thanks again

Ducati models
    Ducati 900 Supersport
    Other bikes
    Ducati S2r Monster KTM 990 Adventure
    I've got an ECU if you need it
    you can run............ but I'd rather be on my Monster

Ducati models
    monster 1100s 748r 748s
    I have traced the fault and all fixed, Thanks Derek, The black wire to the dash had no ground, I checked the earth where the battery earth is bolted to the side of the engine, and checked the resistance between the two earth cables and the engine, the loom earth was 25 omhs cleaned it and rechecked it got 2 ohms reconnected it and everything now working, Thanks again Guys for the help

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Good news
    And you saved yourself a lot of cash by not having to take it to Ducati Glasgow.

The first steps in any electrical fault finding is to make sure all the supplies and grounds are there. The grounds are easily overlooked. Well done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread