+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ducati UpNorth - The Future?

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Pantah 500SL, Scrambler Classic

Default Ducati UpNorth - The Future?

There have been no new posts of any sort on the forum for about a week now.

Until about 3 years ago this was a busy place but in the last couple of years user engagement has fallen away. There are about 30 odd users who login every day, not always the same ones, but no one posts. You have to wonder why.
    No one has anything to say? You've all given up riding Ducatis? Everything is working fine and nothing is broken? Nobody has been anywhere? Covid?

Is it time to wind up Ducati UpNorth? Does it need changing? A new look maybe?
    I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts.

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Troy Bayliss 1098 & 900SL
    Other bikes
    MV Agusta Superveloce Serie Oro & Suzuki GS1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    There have been no new posts of any sort on the forum for about a week now.

Until about 3 years ago this was a busy place but in the last couple of years user engagement has fallen away. There are about 30 odd users who login every day, not always the same ones, but no one posts. You have to wonder why.
    No one has anything to say? You've all given up riding Ducatis? Everything is working fine and nothing is broken? Nobody has been anywhere? Covid?

Is it time to wind up Ducati UpNorth? Does it need changing? A new look maybe?
    I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts.
    Derek,
    For the SDC Members hardly anyone posts on DUN, FB or Instagram pages.
    On FB the Ducati Owners Club GB, Ducati Forum, Ducati 900ss , Ducati Owners UK and Ducati Owners club there is a huge amount of activity regarding ride outs, technical advice and general craic.
    Instagram is quieter and only normally used for any clubs info or posting photos.
    Most people are using FB for technical advice as there are so many people out there ,especially when its older bikes and set ups required.
    Also its so easy to type up a post and add photos on both these networks.
    I've added 10 posts in the last 7 days regarding my ride outs. Easily copy/pasted onto 5 of the Ducati clubs/sites I am in.
    Also post up easily to my Subaru and MV Agusta sites.
    FB is a great platform to keep intouch with all my clubs.
    Easy to log in and automatically I can keep in touch with all my interests.

Chiz.
    Last edited by Chiz; 01.08.2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Scott C

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    So you think FB is the way forward Chiz?

I tried FB a few years back and hated it. I found it intrusive and annoying with all sorts of folk that I'd never heard of wanting to be "Friends". No thanks!
    I still have an account but have shut off all access and all notifications so the only time I see what is going on is when I choose to.
    Further, FB is a timeline, so that what is at the top right now has disappeared away down the line by this time tomorrow and by next week may as well be gone forever, so things are hard to find. There are no sub-divisions for particular subjects or issues, just one continuous line of drivel that you can't filter out. You can find people easy enough but how do you search for a subject?
    Perhaps there is more to Facebook than that but is definitely not for me, and for me personally, I loathe the idea that one firm can have so much influence, knowingly or not, over so many people.

The ducatiforum.co.uk is doing well enough so it's not simply a matter of users moving to Facebook. Are there any more thoughts about this out there?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    So you think FB is the way forward Chiz?

I tried FB a few years back and hated it. I found it intrusive and annoying with all sorts of folk that I'd never heard of wanting to be "Friends". No thanks!
    I still have an account but have shut off all access and all notifications so the only time I see what is going on is when I choose to.
    Further, FB is a timeline, so that what is at the top right now has disappeared away down the line by this time tomorrow and by next week may as well be gone forever, so things are hard to find. There are no sub-divisions for particular subjects or issues, just one continuous line of drivel that you can't filter out. You can find people easy enough but how do you search for a subject?
    Perhaps there is more to Facebook than that but is definitely not for me, and for me personally, I loathe the idea that one firm can have so much influence, knowingly or not, over so many people.

The ducatiforum.co.uk is doing well enough so it's not simply a matter of users moving to Facebook. Are there any more thoughts about this out there?
    I use all platforms to keep in touch Derek.
    You don't like FB, but you can set it up to suit your own needs. Just join the clubs you want to be members with and switch their notifications on.
    Switch the rest off.
    Yesterday was a great example when a Ducati rider from Manchester had a flat tyre in Inverness.
    He asked for help on the Ducati Owners UK page.
    I saw it and shared on the SDC page and messaged a few guys.Within 1 hours there was help offered from various people and from various FB club sites. Tyre getting fitted at 12.00 in Elgin today . Probably 2000 hits and 60 comments and offers within an hour.Great response.
    There is so many people out there that give out really useful info.
    Its how you use FB and Instagram.
    Just cut out all the chaff that would normally pop up.
    Last edited by Chiz; 02.08.2020 at 10:53 AM.
    Scott C

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749bp
    My 2p, and coming from experience of both sides of the coin (member & former committee)

I think all forms of social media should be used, playing to their strengths, and no one single platform be used as a substitute for another, unless the two are identical.

Facebook:-
    Advantages= good for sharing news and updates about the club and anything Ducati related....such as the WSBK & MotoGP dramas & results.
    Really good for creating events and inviting members to attend. Anyone who likes the FB page will get automatic reminders that events are coming up...I love this feature (but it takes a wee while for someone to enter all the events in)
    Really good for reaching out and sharing (like with the tyre repair issue that happened this weekend)
    Disadvantages= not good for member discussions and general chat about stuff. You can post a visitor message, but its easily lost.
    Also, as Derek points out, its not very well organised and stuff gets lost amongst all the other pages.

Twitter/Instagram:-
    Advantages- great for sending out short but instant bits of info and updates
    Disadvantages- discussions aren't really possible

DuN:-
    Advantages- great for having discussions with other members about allsorts...not just ducati stuff but other things too. Easy to search for previous discussions etc.
    Calendar of events can be created and members can see details
    Disadvantages- not sure there are any?

So in terms of using them and member participation?
    Tricky to judge, because COVID situation certainly put a damper on a lot of peoples biking activity and interest in things Ducati related.
    BUT, this is just from experience of previous years...the discussions on DuN and facebook operate on a positive feedback loop. The less discussion, the less discussion and so on ........until we end up where we are now with very few threads.
    But the more discussion then the more people get involved with more discussions...and start their own threads too (on DuN and FB). I do appreciate times change....but its all about being active to stay active. There was a time when people (committee and members) who were extremely active in the club were very regularly posting things, and threads were very long and interesting, and members were starting their own threads. Facebook posts were very regular about all things ducati related and had very long discussion points. But if people stop posting, others stop replying or even logging in to see, they lose interest. Look at the FB page...what were the last posts from the club about?
    WSBK racing this weekend with good results for Ducati. But.....nothing posted.

SDC website events.....now that we can get out and start riding again (and people are probably not going away on foreign holidays) why not start regular rideouts and meets. have any been organised? People are desperate to get out and about.
    http://www.scottishducaticlub.org/events/
    As you can see its jam packed.....

Can I also point out....even though not directly related to the thread about DuN future....it is pertinent.
    At one point the SDC ran with 3 committee +1 (Pres, Tres, Sec + classic Co). Were talking probably 2012/2013. There was no events co-coordinator. The events were part of the Secretary remit.
    With the growing popularity of the different social media, and the introduction of the new SDC website & Facebook page, organising the events involved duplicate posting of these events on the SDC website, facebook & DuN calendar. That also included drumming up of interest in the events on DuN by starting threads about the event at least two weeks before and reminding people of its location and meeting point for runs etc...it got people interested. This was a huge task.... and so another committee position was proposed (at an AGM) then created to allow this job to be done by one person and free up the secretary to do their role. If this is now no longer happening....I have to question the need for a position of a dedicated events coordinator on the SDC committee if the jobs it was created for are redundant.

I've given advice before on what should to be done but at the moment I just feel like

A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    My 2p, and coming from experience of both sides of the coin (member & former committee)

I think all forms of social media should be used, playing to their strengths, and no one single platform be used as a substitute for another, unless the two are identical.

Facebook:-
    Advantages= good for sharing news and updates about the club and anything Ducati related....such as the WSBK & MotoGP dramas & results.
    Really good for creating events and inviting members to attend. Anyone who likes the FB page will get automatic reminders that events are coming up...I love this feature (but it takes a wee while for someone to enter all the events in)
    Really good for reaching out and sharing (like with the tyre repair issue that happened this weekend)
    Disadvantages= not good for member discussions and general chat about stuff. You can post a visitor message, but its easily lost.
    Also, as Derek points out, its not very well organised and stuff gets lost amongst all the other pages.

Twitter/Instagram:-
    Advantages- great for sending out short but instant bits of info and updates
    Disadvantages- discussions aren't really possible

DuN:-
    Advantages- great for having discussions with other members about allsorts...not just ducati stuff but other things too. Easy to search for previous discussions etc.
    Calendar of events can be created and members can see details
    Disadvantages- not sure there are any?

So in terms of using them and member participation?
    Tricky to judge, because COVID situation certainly put a damper on a lot of peoples biking activity and interest in things Ducati related.
    BUT, this is just from experience of previous years...the discussions on DuN and facebook operate on a positive feedback loop. The less discussion, the less discussion and so on ........until we end up where we are now with very few threads.
    But the more discussion then the more people get involved with more discussions...and start their own threads too (on DuN and FB). I do appreciate times change....but its all about being active to stay active. There was a time when people (committee and members) who were extremely active in the club were very regularly posting things, and threads were very long and interesting, and members were starting their own threads. Facebook posts were very regular about all things ducati related and had very long discussion points. But if people stop posting, others stop replying or even logging in to see, they lose interest. Look at the FB page...what were the last posts from the club about?
    WSBK racing this weekend with good results for Ducati. But.....nothing posted.

SDC website events.....now that we can get out and start riding again (and people are probably not going away on foreign holidays) why not start regular rideouts and meets. have any been organised? People are desperate to get out and about.
    http://www.scottishducaticlub.org/events/
    As you can see its jam packed.....

Can I also point out....even though not directly related to the thread about DuN future....it is pertinent.
    At one point the SDC ran with 3 committee +1 (Pres, Tres, Sec + classic Co). Were talking probably 2012/2013. There was no events co-coordinator. The events were part of the Secretary remit.
    With the growing popularity of the different social media, and the introduction of the new SDC website & Facebook page, organising the events involved duplicate posting of these events on the SDC website, facebook & DuN calendar. That also included drumming up of interest in the events on DuN by starting threads about the event at least two weeks before and reminding people of its location and meeting point for runs etc...it got people interested. This was a huge task.... and so another committee position was proposed (at an AGM) then created to allow this job to be done by one person and free up the secretary to do their role. If this is now no longer happening....I have to question the need for a position of a dedicated events coordinator on the SDC committee if the jobs it was created for are redundant.

I've given advice before on what should to be done but at the moment I just feel like

Bottom line now is Robbie, people are not using DUN,FB or any of the platforms to post up.
    Very little interest shown by a fair few.
    Its basically the Teeny and Chiz show posting up.
    If we are out we post up with a few photos.
    We organised the last meet at Strathtyre.
    Its a hard fight for the members and the committee if there is a lack of involvement.
    Only 14 going to the Masher. ����
    Sad times
    Last edited by Chiz; 02.08.2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    749bp
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    Bottom line now is Robbie, people are not using DUN,FB or any of the platforms to post up.
    Very little interest shown by a fair few.
    Its basically the Teeny and Chiz show posting up.
    If we are out we post up with a few photos.
    We organised the last meet at Strathtyre.
    Its a hard fight for the members and the committee if there is a lack of involvement.
    Only 14 going to the Masher. ����
    Sad times
    So the big question, why the lack of interest?
    🤔

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieT For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
    So the big question, why the lack of interest?
    🤔
    Really dont know.
    Huge amount of craic. technical info on all my other Ducati clubs I am in.
    Also mega fun on my Subaru , MV Agusta sites as well as my sports clubs.
    All clubs need to have input from all involved.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Just to be clear. I'm not looking at lack of SDC input, I've given up on that. I'm more concerned with the lack of Ducati discussion generally, especially from a Scottish perspective.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    749bp
    Just to be clear. I'm not looking at lack of SDC input, I've given up on that. I'm more concerned with the lack of Ducati discussion generally, especially from a Scottish perspective.
    Sorry Derek,
    yes that's my fault I took it off topic, but I do believe the two may be partially linked.

Ducati models
    Other bikes

FB, Instagram and DUN have little traffic. When it comes to SDC
    DUN quiet on all fronts, not just the SDC.
    But, all other clubs are booming and great craic.
    I normally have an active part with 6 bike & car clubs daily.
    Similar to what DUN used to be many years ago.
    I go out more with other Scottish biking groups as does Teeny.
    Changed days.
    Scott C

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I've had 2 PM today from users who are unable to post due to "Not enough privileges".
    If any one else is having this issue can they please PM me and let me know.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes

Exclamation Posting problem fixed

Sorry to anyone who has tried to reply to this thread but couldn't. It was my blame
    I had posted the thread in "Forum Membership and Use" but only admin and moderators can reply to this forum. I didn't create DuN so I wasn't aware of that. I have now moved the thread to "Forum and Site Feedback" where all of you can comment.
    My apologies.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    600 TT 600TL M750 750SS
    Other bikes
    BSA 441 VICTOR,Ducati 250 scrambler Triumph 5ta, Tribsa,Montessa Cota, Gilera
    I look in most days but find nothing to reply to, I'm more into restoration or classics than having a run oot with others. Not that i'm anti social i'm actually a very shoshabubble person.
    I have not been near any of my project bikes for the past year hence why iv'e no been posting anything up as the latest project has been my motorhome and i'm oot enjoying that at the moment.
    It would be a shame to see things collapse as there are a few good heads on here to bounce ideas off or gather info from.
    Sam

as ye can see Derek ye sorted it!
    Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sam For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    BMW Panzer 1200 GS
    Derek, i always have a nosey on ducati up north and i do find some of the posts about technical issues interesting and as you know if i have any issues i tend to PM you directly rather than post and as always you always come up with the solution to my issues.

i think the issue with users is that no one seems to post up events on DUN , i know we had some guy from Dundee posted a pop up event in Strathyre but then decided not to turn up some excuse about the weather or something but he made an attempt and was attended by a few people and for that he should be applauded

you look at other facebook sites like Biker social, bike runs scotland and scottish facebookers bikers and people are posting about who wants to go on runs or posting pics of places they have been and that attracts and interests people,posting pics on DUN has always been an issue and i do have to admit if you copied DUN on facebook it would be a success as it would make it more open and inviting to the biking public.

i know you are anti facebook but you could hide behind an admin profile and not get pestered by some lassie from thailand wanting to be your pal .

finally you have opened a thread and you have had numerous replies and that shows people are there and maybe more people should follow your example by creating new threads about anything(like does the Bayliss come out in the wet ) and also post threads about who is up for a run

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davcat For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Davcat View Post
    Derek, i always have a nosey on ducati up north and i do find some of the posts about technical issues interesting and as you know if i have any issues i tend to PM you directly rather than post and as always you always come up with the solution to my issues.

i think the issue with users is that no one seems to post up events on DUN , i know we had some guy from Dundee posted a pop up event in Strathyre but then decided not to turn up some excuse about the weather or something but he made an attempt and was attended by a few people and for that he should be applauded

you look at other facebook sites like Biker social, bike runs scotland and scottish facebookers bikers and people are posting about who wants to go on runs or posting pics of places they have been and that attracts and interests people,posting pics on DUN has always been an issue and i do have to admit if you copied DUN on facebook it would be a success as it would make it more open and inviting to the biking public.

i know you are anti facebook but you could hide behind an admin profile and not get pestered by some lassie from thailand wanting to be your pal .

finally you have opened a thread and you have had numerous replies and that shows people are there and maybe more people should follow your example by creating new threads about anything(like does the Bayliss come out in the wet ) and also post threads about who is up for a run
    I've time to reply Dave as the Bayliss is hiding from the rain today.
    You have said exactly what I stated initially.
    Its a chore to post photos on DUN, but easy to post on FB .
    I posted up my Fife tootle and my Tayside countryside tootle up on 5 of my bike club sites within 5 minutes.
    From that I have had numerous discussions about rideouts in the future.
    FB is an easy platform to use and have good craic on.
    Also great technical advice.

P.s, may be out on Friday if it reaches 23c.
    Scott C

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiz For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Other bikes
    BMW Panzer 1200 GS
    Chiz, great minds think a like and i do think DUN would transfer up to FB very easily and i would suggest a pilot is done to see how the update compares to the original site , you could always use both platforms running simultaneously

enjoy your run on friday but some of us are still working

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davcat For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    I've time to reply Dave as the Bayliss is hiding from the rain today.
    I think everybody is hiding from the rain today

You have said exactly what I stated initially.
    Its a chore to post photos on DUN, but easy to post on FB .
    Ach, you're just too lazy

Actually the forum software is quite outdated. There are newer software packages that allow you to drag and drop pictures straight into the text box. One of the things I mentioned in my first post was a new look and of course with new software driving it. The existing forum could archived but still accessible as read only so none of the info would be lost.
    Last edited by Derek; 04.08.2020 at 06:04 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek For This Useful Post:

Ducati models
    Supersport 939, 907ie
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Davcat View Post
    Chiz, great minds think a like and i do think DUN would transfer up to FB very easily and i would suggest a pilot is done to see how the update compares to the original site , you could always use both platforms running simultaneously

enjoy your run on friday but some of us are still working
    I'm not sure how easy the would be at all. I admit I'm not a great user of FB but I don't see any way of compartmenting it so that specific subjects could be discussed without mountains of drivel in between. Perhaps you can correct me on that. And how do refer back to a subject that came up, say, a year ago?

Ducati models
    749bp
    I'm not sure how easy the would be at all. I admit I'm not a great user of FB but I don't see any way of compartmenting it so that specific subjects could be discussed without mountains of drivel in between. Perhaps you can correct me on that. And how do refer back to a subject that came up, say, a year ago?
    facebook pages have the option to do a search if you are looking for something.....a bit like DuN. Its not something people use a lot though unless they know its there.

One of the reasons why facebook gets overloaded with repeated similar posts. People asking for stuff thats been asked before...because they don't know they could search the page for previous posts already.
    A WISE man speaks 'coz he has something to say. An IDIOT speaks 'coz he has to say something!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast