+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Should it be illegal to ride without the correct gear on?

Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Quote Originally Posted by weeian
    You would know all about Gimp Suits huh !

/ian
    you called?
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    "Helmets, 250cc restriction for learners, reduced to 125cc later, CBT; noise regulations, closing of green roads,and more recently bhp limits after passing the test. Many of which had the effect of helping to destroying the British motorcycle industry. Not quite as much as the Japanese though, they reacted to legislative change and built the bikes the learners needed."

Don't really think so Charlie! The Great British Motorcycling Industry just disappeared up it's own bottom by refusing to recognise; electric starters, indicators, colours other than black, oil leaks, rattles, vibrations, more than two cylinders, alternators, decent bushings, proper suspension, crap lighting, pre-war dated styling, (for the youngsters on here that's WWII, the big one, not Vietnam ), round wheels, etc, etc, etc, etc. It had bugger all to do with helmets or CC limits. I too was there...........
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    None
    Other bikes
    Honda Fireblade.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    "Helmets, 250cc restriction for learners, reduced to 125cc later, CBT; noise regulations, closing of green roads,and more recently bhp limits after passing the test. Many of which had the effect of helping to destroying the British motorcycle industry. Not quite as much as the Japanese though, they reacted to legislative change and built the bikes the learners needed."

Don't really think so Charlie! The Great British Motorcycling Industry just disappeared up it's own bottom by refusing to recognise; electric starters, indicators, colours other than black, oil leaks, rattles, vibrations, more than two cylinders, alternators, decent bushings, proper suspension, crap lighting, pre-war dated styling, (for the youngsters on here that's WWII, the big one, not Vietnam ), round wheels, etc, etc, etc, etc. It had bugger all to do with helmets or CC limits. I too was there...........
    Quite right Pete - I was there - Oh how the manufacturers laughed at the Japanese efforts in the late 50's!!

They're not laughing now!!

Ducati models
    st2, scrambler classic
    Other bikes
    lambretta Serveta Jet 200.Lambretta li silver special 186, Vespa Px210 Nsu Prima 150
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC
    Quite right Pete - I was there - Oh how the manufacturers laughed at the Japanese efforts in the late 50's!!

They're not laughing now!!
    i dont think it was really the japanese that killed the brittish motorcycle industry. i think it was the italians with their scooters.when you consider that the scooters had taken 150,000 sales a year from the bikes they had got people into the mindset of clean transport, warranties that didnt mean 4 weeks of the road while the parts were sent back to the factory for investigation,and decent higher purchase schemes, so that when the japanese challenge came along, the manufacturers had already lost their base customers. that and the fact brittish manufacturers still had the mindset of the brittish in singapore pre 1941.
    but this is only my opinion
    the meaning of life, its about finding the silver lining in every situation

Ducati models
    999r Xerox (not a copy)
    to take the thread back to subject, this is about making proper gear a legal requirement, or not.

As far as the various British firms that have gone tits over the years, it is usually down to poor management and militant workers. Or both.

As far as the Japanese go, they have the outlook that if you are going to do something, do it right, first time, efficiently, faster and better than everyone else. And they also learn from their mistakes. Something the British rarely do1

Ducati models
    st2, scrambler classic
    Other bikes
    lambretta Serveta Jet 200.Lambretta li silver special 186, Vespa Px210 Nsu Prima 150
    Quote Originally Posted by fergie
    to take the thread back to subject, this is about making proper gear a legal requirement, or not.

As far as the various British firms that have gone tits over the years, it is usually down to poor management and militant workers. Or both.

As far as the Japanese go, they have the outlook that if you are going to do something, do it right, first time, efficiently, faster and better than everyone else. And they also learn from their mistakes. Something the British rarely do1
    i never learn from my mistakes, thats how im the asshole i am

Ducati models
    Fergie, why spoil a good discussion by going back to the thread? It wasn't me who dragged it off topic anyway

Gord, if I recall correctly there was never any chance ever of tempting us bikers onto those fecking scooter things - war was fought between the groups. I, like Mac, was there. It was, as Fergie points out, due to bad management (which resulted in the catalogue of dismay I pointed out earlier) that effectively started to kill off British manufacturers. Japanese determination, intransigence, sound work ethic and imagination were what helped it happen in the final instance.

Fergie, compulsion shouldn't be the way to go, re the correct gear, but as mentioned by others some sort of contributory negligence should be applied to those who don't use it when the hospital bills start to build up. But then, is that effectively means testing the ( ) "National Health Service"? Aren't we all entitled to the same level of care, regardless? A bigger can of worms than we can handle here..............
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    None
    Other bikes
    Honda Fireblade.
    OK Pete, Back to the thread(ish) Once we start charging/means testing do we charge fell-walkers/cragrats for being lost/stuck/injured on't fells, mountain bikers who crash etc.. it's almost like women who wear short skirts and are subject to sexual assaults/rape are to quote a 'learned judge' "Asking for it." As you say - a 'can of worms indeed.'

Can't resist this though in relation to't Japs - the reference to those 'scooter things' was a Rhoda! - Rhoda Borrocks (best enunciated with a Japanese accent)

Ducati models
    so just stick to compulsory helmets then? makes sense enough. scooters eh? bless 'em! sorry gord!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    st2, scrambler classic
    Other bikes
    you two are bad people

Ducati models
    None
    Other bikes
    Honda Fireblade.
    Quote Originally Posted by gordj65
    you two are bad people
    Nearly bought a LI 150 'til I told me Dad. He went out and bought a 175 Guzzi which we shared - Blame him!!!

Ducati models
    Quote Originally Posted by gordj65
    you two are bad people
    rockers always were.......mods?........well.......
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    900SS 916SPS
    Just my 10p worth on the wanderings of this thread,

As a Motorcyclist I must support freedom of choice, But

I Always ride in full leathers whether it be frosty weather on the XL185 in england in winter or 35+degrees on the SPS in the south of france in july.
    Did the gravel rash thing once, fortunately in a small way, but never again!

Horses, should be in fields and green lanes in England, and on the Barbeque in France.
    Horse riders - why do they not do a CBT and a two part competence test?

Cycle helmets, I'm a boring old fart who always wears one now.
    Lying on a country lane unconscious till someone comes along is also on my list of never agains. Concussion was more painful than the broken bones.

Merry Xmas

Steve

Ducati models
    999r Xerox (not a copy)
    Well put Steve.
    I agree on the horse bit. Maybe not the BBQ though!

I personally think that anything using the roads should be taxed and insured. Bikes included.

The right gear is one that will go on and on. I always have the full kit on and cannot see the point of not wearing it all. There will always be someone who wants to rebel against something.

Happy Christmas everybody!!

Ducati models
    999r Xerox (not a copy)
    Well. That was quite a week. Just back from 6 days in Stirling and Edinburgh Royal after a small but eventful trip down the road a week past Sunday.

After a great run with Scottch and Borderduc and a few others I peeled off to head home and hit a very small, but very slippy diesel spill on a roundabout in Edinburgh. High sided and came down very hard. Broke a rib, cracked another, crushed shoulder and a few other minor internals. They kept me in a bit longer because they reckoned I had a clot somewhere.

It does bring this old chestnut up again. I had the full gear including back protector and hard armour on as usual. It all worked brilliantly (until the Paramedics cut it all off!) and there is no doubt that had I not been wearing it the damage would have been a lot worse.

Luckily there were no other cars involved and this definately limited the damage, but that was just blind luck. On any other day things could have been a lot different.

So, as always just remember that no matter how safe you are or how well you ride, neither has any bearing on another road user ruining your day, and as your mother would say if you are going out, DRESS ACCORDINGLY!

Ducati models
    yer maw !
    Aww fergie !

hope your feeling better m8, what were u riding at the time ? hopefully not the Xerox ??!!??

ive just bidded on a back protector incidentally. . . .

/ian
    DucatiGlasgow - Award Winning Service !

Winners never quit, quiters never win!

Ducati models
    999r Xerox (not a copy)
    Quote Originally Posted by weeian View Post
    Aww fergie !

hope your feeling better m8, what were u riding at the time ? hopefully not the Xerox ??!!??

ive just bidded on a back protector incidentally. . . .

/ian
    Thankfully it was the HP2, and it just bounced! Unfortunately off me!

Virtually no damage at all and the money PPP pay me to suffer the NHS rather than one of their 5 Star places will pay to fix it!

As for the back protector, just remember they are 'one fall' only like a helmet. And Knox do a new for old if you are in a bump and the Police attend, so I would go on the web and get a new one. Just in case the seller has been 'off'.

You'll get them under Planet.Knox.something or other!

Ducati models
    749s

Default f**kin deisel!

Sorry hear about you're off ian,
    Hope u r okay and make a full recovery!
    Had a similiar incident on the gsxr a few years back,hit a patch of diesel at bowtrees roundabout,back end went, then grippped,sending me what felt like a couple of feet on the air(probably 1ft).
    luckily came back down on the seat and one peg.
    s**t meself but got of lightly,
    SO HOPE YOU,RE FEELING OKAY.
    And get out on the bike or bikes as soon as pos!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    Question is should full kit (helmet, jacket, gloves, trousers, boots) be mandatory when out on the road?
    YES, and I think we should also ban swimming pools, because, well someone could drown in there and there's really no need to swim these days, we've got boats.

Now I'm off to grind the edges off the kitchen knives.

Christ!
    Noisy bloody monsterer

Ducati models
    st2, scrambler classic
    Other bikes
    ive thought about this and have decided it should be law to wear all the kit. And whats more it should all have to be bought from me, did i say i have a bike clothing shop. gordons easy payment plan, one payment up front take it away whenever you want

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast