• Recommended

10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A6 Kendal - Penrith 26 miles

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96

Default A6 Kendal - Penrith 26 miles

Snick first at the lights on Sandes Avenue in Kendal, coming from the South you would be turning right here, I however just go straight on. Its here your heart starts racing, what follows is 26 miles of sheer brilliance..........
    Your heading for the hills.......

Adhere to the 30 and 40 limits on the transit road North, camera van often parks in th Rugby club, you will know you approaching as there is a large school and playing field on your right, stick to the next 40 limit because just before it finishes a hidden layby exits, guess who sits in there on a Sunday !!

Ok, quick check, no plod, then my friends the party starts, top gear arrives fairly quickly, whoa, that right hander was tighter than I thought, seeping into an uphill left with overtaking lane, don't leave it to late though as you need to lay it on its ear into the left and flick back right, then left, then right, then left, are you getting the picture !

It when you start rising North of Selside about 7 miles in from Kendal that the scenery starts getting good and the road starts getting faster.

Obviously common sense should always apply, there are alot of locals around that I know regularly bait other riders as sport, you come up on lorries and tourists very quickly, its almost an optical illusion sometimes because of the nature of the terrain.

Hitting the summit, wow, it has been know to lift the front over here, careful though as laybys exist both sides !

Decending the summit the corners can be deceptive, especially the first right, bit off camber you know !

Follow it through the 'twistyish' 3 carrigeway (crawler lane Southbound) bit, watch out for the manhole cover on your line, tbh its never given me any grief, just in the head !

Respect the 30 and 40 Zones through Shap village and then head out for the second section, Shap Village to Penrith, also note there is a public lav in the centre of the village on your right hand side. Should you wish !

Great road continues North of the Village but you do encounter some speed limits through the villages no, please respect them, although this road is not heavily Policed, it is Policed though, so be aware !

At the end of this section you 'pop' out at the roundabout with the A66, just pop across that roundabout and pick up the A686, look out for a report on that road by Mike.

The surface has suffered somewhat this winter and of course the gas men never do us bikers any favours, on the top wooded ( Shap) section, heading south though there is alot of overbanding 'on line' go easy.

See you there

Ian
    Last edited by dseered; 21.12.2005 at 02:24 PM.
    | www.ianwoodphotography.com |
    | www.ianwoodphotographyblog.com |

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    It worked <giddy now>

Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by dseered
    It worked

Nice one Ian, once you do it a few times it'll get easier, its the inputting the poll text boxes tat takes the time, copying and pasting is quickest i think.

oops, forgot to vote

Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    yes, stunning road, it will be the opening leg of the Dalesman's Dash. Just watch for bizzies! I don't usually stop for photos, it looks nice! Once did it four times, up, down, up, down and back to Hawes for a rest!
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    T8 SP4S, 900SS, Kat1000
    Yup the A6 Shap run is a top road. My fav' bit is north up out of Kendal to Shap especially the long sweeper past the old clock position down in to the dip with the farm on the left and up hill through the right hander. You literally get pushed down on to the tank in the dip. Fantasic!

Other things to watch for are changes in weather. Come out of Kendal in sunshine and you can be in 10/10th fog and wet before you get to what is now the caravan sales pitch on the left half way up going north (another good corner BTW).
    Also watch for water running off the rock faces across the road after it's rained and then dried out on the road; the fields haven't.
    It's got some history behind it as well because, before the M6 was opened this was literally the only way by road to get to Penrith and north on the west coast. Stop at the summit where the telecom mast is (lay-by both sides) and by the eastern lay-by there is a commenorative stone. Have a read.

Ains.

Ducati models
    ST4S
    Great road but weather can change quickly not great in Fog

Ducati models
    Monster S4
    Tried to keep up with Ian (DCR) last year - no fair when he knows the road so well! Def worth another go, shame it's the other side of the country

Ducati models
    998s Final Edition Mono
    Its a great road in reverse too - plus you can pick your way through Kendal and then down to Sedbergh and pick up the back road in to Kirkby Lonsdale and stop for a coffee and a bacon sandwich at Devils Bridge - just watch out for plod round there though!!

A6 Road itself is lovely

The continuation of the A6 from Penrith up to Carlisle is great too - not as twisty or scenic as the southern section but very quick in places - and there is a storming very very very very fast right hander at the end of a long straight with a perfect camber going straight in to a climb up a hill, about 3 miles before Golden Fleece Services.

Ducati models
    748 Bip
    It is a very very fast road, great but very fast.

I never forget the first run of the year to Devils Bridge one year (Cold Sunny January Day), came along Shep Wells straight and through the twisty bit at the end, came to the long sweeping right hander and half way round it turned from dry roads to snow

Luckly I was second and saw the break lights come on but my mates feet were down and the bike was all over the place He did well and stayed to stay on the bike.

But the road is to fast for me these days
    748 Biposto, Mono'd

Ducati models
    998s Final Edition Mono
    Its only as fast as your right hand makes it Nick!!

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Quote Originally Posted by 998gsb View Post
    There is a picture somewhere of me hanging my knee out with snow on then there ills !

Ducati models
    748 Bip
    Quote Originally Posted by 998gsb View Post
    I know this but we all know what its like
    748 Biposto, Mono'd

Ducati models
    2014 mts 1200 S GT
    I love this road, and often end up at Heartside café for a brew and a rest then back to the heavy breathing through the twisty's home.
    I Had a good signature but the stupid sig editor wont let me put it on.....boring!

+ Reply to Thread