The Forum is moving to Facebook on 1st October 2020. Please Read.

View Poll Results: What did you think of the road/route

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once was enough thank you

0 0%
  • Enjoyable, worth doing again

1 50.00%
  • Weehah, get me back there now

1 50.00%
  • Good fun on an SBK

1 50.00%
  • Good fun on Monster/ST or MTS

1 50.00%
  • Worth it for the views/scenery

1 50.00%
  • Recommended

2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loop, South-West-North Lakes.

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96

Default Loop, South-West-North Lakes.

Ok, this is the route we followed for Raid the Lakes '05 and found it to be very good !

Begin, Zest Café, about 4 miles North of Kendal on the A591, if coming from the South Exit M6 Junction 36, from the North, come off at Junc 40 and drop into Kendal using the A6.
    They do a decent brew there and also petrol station attached to cafe so fill your tank aswell.

Depart towards Windermere on the A591

We are going to drop down through Windermere and then Bowness, this will be filter city, so just watch yourselves, proceed along this road untill reaching Newby Bridge wonderfull views of Lake Windermere on your right hand side.

Turn right at Newby Bridge 2nd exit off rounadabout

This will put you on the A590 follow this road, its wide so you should be able to get back in formation if you got spilt up by the Lake, when you reach the Estuary on your left prepare to turn right (A5902 - Broughton in Furness)

A595 - Ravenglass and brew stop on the estuary. Nice little pub and a good banking to plonk your ass and survey the estuary, If you look to your right while facing the water the strange building you can see in the distance is Sellafield.

I will edit this thread later when I have sussed out how to display a pic.

Rejoin the A595 this is a long stretch of wide A road, it will be on this road that you may catch a glimpse of the Strange building on the left is Sellafield, our local Nuclear power plant, if its clear you may also see a mound appearing from the Irish Sea, yep that’s the IOM.

A595 – Egremont At the 2nd roundabout we are turning towards Cockermouth.

A5086 - Egremont - Cockermouth via Cleator moor ( view of the Western Fells stunning ) Guys watch it on this road, some corners and dips that WILL surprise you ( Ask Gizmo )

Cockermouth Look out for the sign that says Baa Meals at the Sheep and Wool centre, drop down to the roundabout - fuel, fag, pee !

A66 - A5091 (Dockray, Troutbeck) Defo photo stop. As you can see by the image below.

Drop down to the side of Ullswater. Hang a left, tight and twisty, watch for coaches.

A592 - Pooley Bridge, often a few bikes to be found in Pooley, good pub on the right not far after the bad bridge, its name escpes me though !

From Pooley, best option is to head for Eamont Bridge and pick up the A6 again, you can either then head South to Kendal or North to Hartside on the A686.
    Last edited by dseered; 21.12.2005 at 12:50 PM.
    | www.ianwoodphotography.com |
    | www.ianwoodphotographyblog.com |

Ducati models
    1098, Kona SS, Pace RC303
    Agree, this is a good run out, I know the twisties, like Gizmo apparantly! The particular left hander I know is over a crest which tightens as you plunge down and run wide, too wide, to the right hand verge, clip the grass (oops), sit up, @@@@ yourslef, settle down and bimble out...... happy days. The other bend of note is the ridiculous tightening, cresting left hander by Muncaster Castle - fortunately the kerb on the opposite side when you get it wrong is very wide - you CAN stop before you hit the wall, but only just! The bump over the kerb is exciting too - mountain bike skills help with that one! Joy.
    MAD AS A FISH! TOO OLD TO CARE!
    www.psychlosport.co.uk

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    Agree, this is a good run out, I know the twisties, like Gizmo apparantly! The particular left hander I know is over a crest which tightens as you plunge down and run wide, too wide, to the right hand verge, clip the grass (oops), sit up, @@@@ yourslef, settle down and bimble out...... happy days. The other bend of note is the ridiculous tightening, cresting left hander by Muncaster Castle - fortunately the kerb on the opposite side when you get it wrong is very wide - you CAN stop before you hit the wall, but only just! The bump over the kerb is exciting too - mountain bike skills help with that one! Joy.

Not experienced the one at Muncaster, I don't think, I did have a moment a bit further down, before Muncaster on the RVF though, when I had left knee down, right foot came off the peg, ended up right calf on the seat, left leg dragging, back wheel ran over my left foot, all weight was on my right hand therefore the throttle was pinned, I was scared, very scared, stayed on though

Ducati models
    T8 SP4S, 900SS, Kat1000
    A5086 - Egremont - Cockermouth via Cleator moor ( view of the Western Fells stunning ) Guys watch it on this road, some corners and dips that WILL surprise you ( Ask Gizmo )

That's the road up through Frizington, Arlecdon, Rowrah, Lamplugh and Deanscales before the t-junction with the A66 init?

Who got caught out by the sharp 90 degree left hander under the old railway bridge before the rise up into Frizington then?
    The bit from Rowrah through to Deanscale is excellent but gets a bit thin on an SBK. Did it on the T8 a while back and that road narrows down severely at speed.
    A good detour is; turn left to Lamplugh and follow the signs for Mockerkin and then Loweswater & B5292 then go up on to Whinlatter Pass through Grizedale Forest.
    Photo shot on the lay-by just before you drop in to Braithwaite (very narrow in the village). The background is Bassenwaite Lake with Skiddaw and Skiddaw Dodd.
    On to the A66 for Keswick or double back (turn right) north on the A66 which is a duel carriage way but the north carriage way is the old road, the south carrigeway follows the old railway lane down by the lake. There about a mile between them. Two lanes but most visitors don't realise this so the outside lane is empty. Wierd sensation piling along on what used to be the wrong side of the road! Trees and stone walls and great bends until the lanes meet again. Then follow the A66 back to the junction with the A5092.

Ains.

Ducati models
    600 ss
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock620
    my god i'm scared just reading that! might make me think twice!!!

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    That's the road up through Frizington, Arlecdon, Rowrah, Lamplugh and Deanscales before the t-junction with the A66 init?

Who got caught out by the sharp 90 degree left hander under the old railway bridge before the rise up into Frizington then?

That would be Gizmo !

Ducati models
    None
    Other bikes
    Honda Fireblade.

Default A 66..

For info. Boys in blue very active in this area - beware.. can't give any more details!!

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Really ????

Any chance of a PM MAC, would like to know a bit of the craic, if you would contact me that would be good.

It could be important

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Thoughts, Sellafield ???

Ducati models
    D16RR, 1299S
    Isn't that where the kids have that ready-brek glow?

Ducati models
    T8 SP4S, 900SS, Kat1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottch
    Isn't that where the kids have that ready-brek glow?
    It's where the Cod have heads three sizes to big and the Whiting have two tails though.
    Bros outlaw got collared on his R1 on the A66 between Cockermouth and just before the A66 splits. The long straight bit. Told to go careful and sent on his way with a flea in his ear. Lucky chap.

Ains.

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Quote Originally Posted by Ains.
    It's where the Cod have heads three sizes to big and the Whiting have two tails though.
    Bros outlaw got collared on his R1 on the A66 between Cockermouth and just before the A66 splits. The long straight bit. Told to go careful and sent on his way with a flea in his ear. Lucky chap.

Ains.
    Real McCoy and Gaz got pulled at over the ton on the 66, same deal. nice bike lads, ride safe !

+ Reply to Thread