+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ducati Superlight 2020

Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none

Default Ducati Superlight 2020

Ducati have been running a design study with AAD in Turin results below ....

Italy presents to you the Ducati Superlight 2020, the result of intensive work of students at “Transportation design” from the “Institute of Applied Art and Design” (IAAD) in Turin, Italy working strong collaboration with Ducati. The concept is being displayed at the 2008 “Facts of Design”, event organized by IAAD.

Ducati members of this project were Andrea Ferraresi (Style coordinator) and Bart Janssen (senior designer). They thought students how to take in consideration things such as effective technical methods, ergonomics and costs while their Institute teachers guided them in every single detail until finalization.

This looks like a plausible concept to us, given to the fact that it looks like a present day bike, only that funnier.

The truth about life - is it found in the beginning, middle or end?

Interested in Sport Classic's? Clicky here

Ducati models
    does a settee count ?
    oooo i likey
    OH s**t did i say that out loud?

ProjectImola004 Guest
    Nope, hate. These concept bikes all look the same. Nothing classic or 'Ducati' about this. Just some student gone mad with his CAD machine!!!

...just my opinion mind....

Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    you might want to check Oberdan Bezzi's Designer Space gallery, some of the dates of his concepts as a design student and where Ducati have ended up are interesting I quite like looking at design concepts from students and their CAD machines and watching what bits they steal from other designers which then end up elsewhere, there are few original ideas

alane Guest
    OK so they appear to use a lot of 'new' composite material layouts, but they're not 'radical' to the point of new designs in my mind.
    I liked the way the last model went with the aerodynamics but why hasn't anyone stretched that to encompass the body shell, i.e. bringing the side mouldings around from the front of the bike (engine front not fork front) to give more wind protection for the lower limb areas would surely improve the dynamics and probably provide more area for airbox intake and plenum chambers.

Ducati models
    M600
    fuel tank looks like it only holds 5 litres or am I missing the point?

alane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    fuel tank looks like it only holds 5 litres or am I missing the point?
    nail-head-hit
    My kids can draw a futuristic bike concept that would be great to ride......in a cartoon!
    Realism in design needs to be enforced with these designers who launch their concept designs and expect the engineers to catch and develop them.
    Even the basics such as fuel capacity and fuel/air mixture systems seem to have conveniently escaped the pens of these wannabe future design house peeps.

Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    these are just design sketchs of possible shapes/form, the "real" design comes after this, taking into account the size of the various bits, possibly redesigning them etc but the harder bit is as it goes to production engineering, physically you have to be able to make it and I've seen lots of designs where that proves a challenge. i was ina big frame builder in Asia watching them trying to construct a complex full suspension MTB frame but they had no way of jigging the frame to align it without fully assembling it, every frame had to be fully built up, aligned, stripped down and then continue on down the line, even worse the space on the line wasn't big enough, they had to put everything into pallets, move it away, then drag it back, the cost to do this was crazy and all because the designer hadn't understood the manufacturing process.

there is a lot goes into getting a finished product that looks good, works and hits the target price point!

Ducati models
    M900 project
    Other bikes
    Sprint 1050 ST
    This ain't going to come close to happening.

Why?

Look what happened to sales after Ducati went down a slightly different design path.

The number crunches had their fingers burnt and won't risk anything as radical again.
    There are only 10 types of people... those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ducati models
    M600
    IMO the T9 had problems as it wasn't as 'attractive' as it's predecessor, it was a hard act to follow + the original designer of the replacement fcuked off with the plans to another manufacturer

Ducati models
    SL MkI, S2R,848,250 Desmo
    Other bikes
    Laverda Alpino S, Bultaco 250 Sherpa
    Not my cup of tea. Think I'll stick with my original Superlight.

Ducati models
    900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    IMO the T9 had problems as it wasn't as 'attractive' as it's predecessor,

Saying the 999 is not as good looking as the 916 is like saying Catherine Zeta Jones isn't as nice looking as Raquel Welch .... it's true (in my eyes anyway), but only because the latter was gob smackingly stunning, not because the other is ugly... and lets face it, you'd be stupid to turn down a ride on either (in their prime, of course)

Anyhows, none of those designs have taken into account the fact that petrol tanks are fast disappearing - on a lot of Jap stuff the tanks are just dummies, with the fuel being stored in lower hidden compartments of the bike. So very soon, someone will do away with the dummy section altogether ...... and if Duc wants to be seen as an innovator rather than a mimic !!!!

+ Reply to Thread