+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A54/Cat and Fiddle

Ducati models
    Radical, S4 Cup

Default A54/Cat and Fiddle

I have been working in Buxton and the Peak District recently and have been using the Cat and Fiddle run to get there. I have also had a go down the A54 both are gob smacking roads which I intend to test in a loop when the weather gets better. (I tend to go north and not south lancashire usually). Can anyone suggest a route to include these roads and a decent run down say from Preston without me having to ride down to Jnt 18/19 to drop off the M6.

Ducati models
    D16RR
    Other bikes
    Multistroodle 1200ST Katoom 450EXC
    Just thinking about this, Lily's gonna crank up Autoroute and have a look...

Although A6 springs to mind, but you're going to have to get over the ship canal in Warrington... for the Jocks that'll mean using the Thelwall Viaduct (M6) for a junction at least.

But you could come off at Junction 20 (A50 Lymm) towards Knutsford (past Ducati Mcr) into and through Knutsford, then left onto the A537 Macclesfield and this will drop you onto the bottom of the C&F
    2010 - lets make this a good one

Ducati models
    1000ds+600ss#96
    Jon is that the road Lily, you and myself 'cruised' back up from the Mega Meet on ?

Poor 749 couldn't go any faster !

Ducati models
    D16RR
    Other bikes
    Yeah part of the one back to the M6 yes, fast and flowing

Ducati models
    D16RR, 1299S
    Jon - is this one of the roads we might recce on Sunday?

Ducati models
    D16RR
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottch
    Jon - is this one of the roads we might recce on Sunday?
    You could come that way in the car on Saturday or go back that way if you like? M6 Junction 20 towards Knutsford then follow signs for Macc.

The Cat & Fiddle can be seen from Lily's house, you might be able to see it from Hollin Hall as it's higher up... it's literally 5 mins away, personally I don't like it to ride, it's just good for getting to better roads IMO

Ducati models
    1098s, GSXR750
    Russ

A much better road over to Buxton is known as Long Hill and is from Whaley Bridge to Buxton.
    Lots of ways to get to Wahely, but a fun one is...

If you can get to the A34 near Wilmslow head towards Dean Row then towards Addlington. Follow signs to Pott Shrigley (Shrigley Hall) and bear left in the village taking you up onto Macc to Whaley road. Once in Whaley turn right at lights and ENJOY!!! far better than C&F in most local opinion.
    Lil

Ducati models
    Radical, S4 Cup
    Thanks for that Lily. Maybe the Cumbrian/North Lancs crew can meet up with the Knutsford crew and you can show us the guided tour. Like I mentioned most of us naturally head North and it would make a change to go for a blast in the Peak District............

Ducati models
    1098s, GSXR750
    any time Russ

I am probably better at south cheshire and wales despite where i live, but Shaun is pretty clued up on the peak roads from what i understand, although its fun keeping up!!
    Lil

alane Guest
    Once you've found the road you like, have a butchers either at the Oop-North frapp map or maps.google.co.uk and zoom in on the general area. Then select satellite or hybrid and have a view of the road - admittedly not brilliant on some of the satellite pictures but it gives you a general idea as to if you'll be going through a built up area or countryside.

Ducati models
    none
    Other bikes
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by alane
    Once you've found the road you like, have a butchers either at the Oop-North frapp map or maps.google.co.uk and zoom in on the general area. Then select satellite or hybrid and have a view of the road - admittedly not brilliant on some of the satellite pictures but it gives you a general idea as to if you'll be going through a built up area or countryside.
    be even better when google earth maps the whole UK in 3D, I had a fly down ullswater on it earlier this week, mad.

Ducati models
    1200 Multi & XR650R
    I think the Cat and Piddle is overated, too slow with bends where the radius tightens up and catches people out. Its also heavily policed and attracts too many prats, who plough into the dry stone walls like leemings.

The one big plus is that it keeps attention away from the hidden gems

Ducati models
    D16RR
    Other bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by BDG
    I think the Cat and Piddle is overated, too slow with bends where the radius tightens up and catches people out. Its also heavily policed and attracts too many prats, who plough into the dry stone walls like leemings.

The one big plus is that it keeps attention away from the hidden gems
    I'm with you on this Shaun, it's OK, but I don't rate it, it's good for getting to some far better roads, or as you have said to get the idiots out of your way and leave you to the better roads.

BTW hope you enjoyed yourself on Saturday night, I somehow ended up with a tank in my car

Ducati models
    1200 Multi & XR650R
    Jon, really enjoyed it thanks, see my other post.

Aha the tank, forgot about that, you could have left it in the van.

Must sort an RV or i can pick it up from Bolly sometime.

Manc, Manx Guest

Exclamation Ring-side Seats............................

Quote Originally Posted by BDG
    ...............Its also heavily policed and attracts too many prats, who plough into the dry stone walls like leemings...........
    You even get the 'Morbid Mob' setting up seating near to said 'Dry Stone Walls' at the tighter bends, cameras in hand, waiting for the vertically challenged to plough, as it were!!!

Ducati models
    998s
    K'nell - nobody updated this since '06?

Cat n fiddle is useless now with the rear pointing average speed cash cameras and reduced to a mind numbing 50mph!

Of course, it is for our own safety, so we are not permitted to argue when the safety card is flashed.

Never mind, anybody any other pleasant route where National Speed Limit still applies?

+ Reply to Thread